Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Bing Web Search Update?
This is very very early and I don't have evidence of this myself, since I don't monitor rankings, but a single post at WebmasterWorld suggested there is a Bing update taking place. textex, someone I trust at the forum, who has been a member of WebmasterWorld for almost ten years now, said: Looks like an update.... So if there is a Bing update, there is a Yahoo update in the US and Canada. Did you
- How Does Google Maps Decide To Show Labels (Points of Interest)?
Yesterday I reported Google is testing "sponsored map icons" in the US. They are basically enhanced point of interest icons using the company's logo, instead of the basic POI (point of interest) icon Google uses on the map views. Here you can see some POI icons, also known as "labels." They include a doctor icon, a bed and breakfast icon, a synagogue icon, a lawyer office icon and them some generic squares. Clearly, when you
- Sphinn Drops Voting & SEO Community Revolts
I doubt you missed the big SEO community news from yesterday. Danny Sullivan announced in a Sphinn thread that Sphinn will be going the editorial route and be removing voting. Instead, editors will decide what should be on the front page and not users. Users can still submit content, but editors have the final say on what makes it to the front page of Sphinn. The goal is to have hand picked content that the
- Google Webmaster Tools Bug Prevented Unverifying Users
Some users have recently been having difficultly removing verified users in Google Webmaster Tools. Google allows you to give multiple users access to view your Google Webmaster Tools reports and data. Sometimes you want to revoke access to some of those users. To do that, you go "Add or remove owners" on the Webmaster Tools homepage and click "unverify." But that was not working for the past couple days. Google admitted the bug and said
- GoogleBot Crawling Less or More Efficiently?
The obsessed (in a cool geeky way) webmasters at WebmasterWorld are discussing recent patterns they noticed with how Google's spider, GoogleBot has been accessing their site recently. One said GoogleBot is crawling 50% less than it normally does. Others are saying they are just seeing GoogleBot crawl differently, but not less, per say. In addition, another person said Google stop crawling almost completely, but that is likely another issue. Tedster explained what he has recently
- Logged In/Out: Google Keyword Tool Gives Different Results
Sheara Goldenthal pinged me with a question yesterday about why the Google Keyword Tool shows different search volume data for the same keyword phrase, when she is logged in versus not logged into her AdWords account. It is a great question, a question I thought I knew the solid answer for. I am sure I read it somewhere, so I dug a bit deeper. It seems like this is a popular question asked in several
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- How many people use the filters in the left hand column?, WebmasterWorld
- Doodle National Day Vietnam, Google Blogoscoped Forum
- Google Code was serving malware, Google Blogoscoped Forum
- -50 penalty for 8 months. I've spent $65k to rebuild from top to bottom. Heavy heavy service. Still not ranking., Google Webmaster Help
- Apple to launch their own version of Twitter and Facebook, WebmasterWorld
- Did Google Just Kill ORM?, Sphinn
- Doodle First day of school, Google Blogoscoped Forum
- Steve Jobs suggests that competitors' device activation tallies may be inflated, Google Blogoscoped Forum