Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- 1,257 Users Switch To Bing Due To Google News Change
On July 1st, Google News launched a redesign and to be frankly honest, it seems like it was a major failure. So many complaints, so much hate, so many switchers, all do to this single portal change. I wanted to isolate a single complaint, amongst many, where an IT support guy from a medium size business chimed in. He posted his issue at the Google News Help forum: thanks much for all the work the
- Google's Favicon a Google Toilet?
Spotted via a Google Blogoscoped Forum thread, Wildammo.com put together a funny version of Google's favicon. Let's show you their version and then the official one: Look similar? Think the Google designer was taking care of some business and thought up this idea while thinking? Anything is possible. This Google favicon is from January 2009, which was updated from the all blue one in May 2008, and prior to that it was a multi-colored G.
- Google Maps Labels Oceans, Seas, Lakes & Other Bodies Of Water
A few days ago, a Google Maps user asked Google in a Google Maps Help forum if they can add labels or names to bodies of water. The person asked, why are no oceans, seas, lakes and so on labelled on Google Maps. Google Maps representative, Dave, who is a Product Manager from Google's Seattle office said that it is coming soon. Dave said: Thanks for your note, this is something we're working on and
- Google To Bring Banners To Gmail, Will Users Leave?
adAge reports Google may be bringing large banner display ads to Gmail. Google properties such as Google Finance, YouTube and others have fairly large display ads already. Gmail, for the most part, has gone contextual ad based, as opposed to simply display ad based. Not just Gmail, but also Google Maps, Google Books and so on may start seeing display ads. Would it ever come to Google Search. There was speculation Google would do this
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Developers Apps Removed From App Store Over Hacking Complaints, WebmasterWorld
- Google Doodle: tanabata, Google Blogoscoped Forum
- No Follow to Homepage - Why are sites doing this?, WebmasterWorld
- Canonicalization of content fragment - rel canonical to an anchor?, WebmasterWorld
- How long will a page hold its PageRank with a 302 redirect?, WebmasterWorld
- Why are there offensive suggestions for "pakistanis are" but not others, Google Web Search Help