Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- 404-Like Content In Google Webmaster Tools: Soft 404s
Google is now showing soft-404 pages in the page not found error report in Google Webmaster Tools. Google just confirmed this on the Google Webmaster Central blog, and it was first noted in a WebmasterWorld thread early this morning. I personally tried to verify this, but did not see them in my reports. But Google did post a screen shot: A soft 404 is a page not found page that returns a 200 status code,
- Google Suggest Now With Spelling Corrections
Last week, I received some tips of Google offering spelling suggestions in Google Suggest. Google Suggest is basically the suggestions given to you as you type your search query in the Google Search box. At first, I honestly didn't know if it was new. So I emailed Google and never received a response, which is unlike Google. But Google did blog about it over the weekend and I now know it is indeed new. Here
- Bing Drops Cashback Proving You Can't Buy Search Market Share
On Friday, Microsoft announced they are dropping the cashback program. Microsoft Cashback enticed searchers to try Bing over other search engines by giving them cash back after buying through a search ad. I did the walk through on how cashback works a while back. I personally used it every now on then on big purchases, it was a great way to not just get a great deal, but to get money back on great deals.
- Yahoo Publishers Receive Their Final Payments
Friday, I received my last check from Yahoo for my Yahoo Publisher Network earnings. Yahoo announced they would shut it down and shut it down they did. This weekend, everyone should have received their final payments or checks. I got mine on Friday and so did most other publishers. It is sad, it launched only 4 years and 10 months ago and early on, it earned publishers a nice amount of money. But over the
- People Seriously Want a D-Day Google from Google?
Yesterday was the 66th anniversary of D-Day, the landing at Normandy. There were about 10,000 casualties that day on the allied side, 3,000 or so which were fatal. But yet people want a Google Doodle, logo, for the day. There were a few posts from upset people in the Google Web Search Help forums with complaints. But the truth is, Google said they try not to do Doodles for events that are not light hearted.
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: June 4, 2010
This week was a bit slow, due to the Memorial Day holiday but we did have a nice amount of significant changes this week. Google, yesterday, released a Toolbar PageRank update. I reviewed the changes with Google over the past month, including a more detailed explanation of the MayDay update. Google increased the title tag limit to 70 characters. Yahoo Search is becoming really unstable, according to Webmasters. Google let's you advertising your content network
- Google Hologram Logo For Dennis Gabor's 110th Birthday
If you visit Google today, you will see a hologram version of the Google logo. Here is a picture of the logo: Why the hologram? Well, today is Dennis Gabor's 110th birthday. Dennis Gabor invented holography 1947. He was a Hungarian-British physicist who received the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1971. He actually has a very interesting history, so read about it at Wikipedia. Forum discussion at Google Blogoscoped Forums and Google Web Search Help.
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Can Adult Ads Lower Your Pagerank?, HighRankings Forums
- Does the canonical tag truly resolve the "www" issue?, WebmasterWorld
- Google Feedback limited beta, Google Blogoscoped Forum
- Google Street View WiFi Data Collection Lawsuit Amended, WebmasterWorld
- How The Mainstream Media Stole Our News Story Without Credit, Sphinn
- Yahoo News Search Refreshes For Global Markets, WebmasterWorld
- Doodle National Day Sweden, Google Blogoscoped Forum
- Click Percentage from Left Google Menu, WebmasterWorld
- Difference between "site:" and indexed URLs in Webmaster tools?, Google Webmaster Help
- My Boss Doesn't Get It, HighRankings Forums
- Sandbox DB Refresh Today: Thursday, June 3rd, AdWords API Forum