Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Weekly Search Buzz RoundUp - 11/07/08: Google Search Breaks, Political Agendas in Ads & Ask.com Falls Apart
Happy Friday everyone! Today we're preparing for PubCon, but before that: here's what happened this week in search. Google Screws Up Search Results This past week, we've seen some crazy Google SERPs and not many people were happy. One even likened the results to Live.com. Ouch. Google PageRank Being Dropped? Google is removing PageRank from the toolbar -- you can turn it on, apparently, but some are wondering why it's off by default. However, others
- SMX East: Give It Up
Give It Up: White Hat Edition - This session has SEOs sharing favorite, little-known and powerful techniques that wont get you banned in search engines from trying. Moderator: Danny Sullivan, Editor-in-Chief, Search Engine Land Speakers: Michael Gray, President, Atlas Web Service Kimberly Krause Berg, Usability Consultant/Owner, UsabilityEffect.com Kate Morris, Search Engine Marketing Manager, RateGenius Tyler Shears, Online Marketing Manager, Databanq Media Stephan Spencer, President, Netconcepts Shari Thurow, Founder and SEO Director, Omni Marketing Interactive This
- How Can You Get Links Via Offline Methods?
Everyone wants links. But how do you get them if you are faced with doing things offline -- or rather, if you want to be unconventional and gather links in person, how do you do that? A WebmasterWorld thread discusses some strategies you may not have thought of. One I did know about: going to industry conferences (ever see my link post?) But you can also give away free information offline (and over the phone)
- How Do You Spot Multiple Keywords Across Ad Groups in Google AdWords?
Say you imported hundreds or thousands of keywords into your Google AdWords account. Chances are if you are working with high volume, you may have duplicated your keywords across ad groups. How do you find these and address them? There are two ways suggested: First, you can mouseover the keyword and wait for the little "spy glass" which will show you if another ad shows up for that keyword. Second, you can perform a search.
- Poll: SEOs Should Get Degrees in Marketing & Programming
Want to be an SEO? Well, we asked SEOs what degrees upcoming SEOs and SEMs should obtain. The overwhelming number of responses were for marketing and programming degrees. Here is the breakdown of the 265 submissions: :: Marketing said 126 respondents or 48% :: Programming said 66 respondents or 25% :: Statistics said 34 respondents or 13% :: English said 22 respondents or 8% :: Other said 10 respondents or 4% :: Math said 7
- Poll: 55% Said Schmidt Should Not Have Endorsed Barack Obama
A week ago today, we wrote about a fairly controversial topic. We titled that article, Google, The Unbiased Company, Has CEO Backing Obama. In short, we asked our readers, should Google's CEO, Eric Schmidt have publicly come out and support Barack Obama? Clearly, every US citizen has a right to support a candidate or not. But, Schmidt, being in his position, and signing off the public support under the title of Google's CEO, should he
- Google AdWords No Longer Supporting Code Verification
A Google Groups thread reports issues with using the Google AdWords Verify Code option. The verify code tool seems to have been removed. Why? AdWordsPro.Steph said it was removed because it came with the PPA (Pay Per Action) options. Google dropped the PPA program back in July and slowly phased out the Verify Code tool in September. Steph said: The 'Verify Code' option was one of the features that came with PPA ads, which AdWords
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Michael Gray Launches New Website ViralConversations.com, Sphinn
- Tip #2: AdWords' New Display Ad Builder, Google
- Turning Customers Into Salesmen With Word of Mouth Marketing, Sphinn
- Yahoo CEO, Yang, Says to Microsoft, 'Buy Yahoo', WebmasterWorld
- Are you noticing a decrease in adsense revenue?, WebmasterWorld
- Microsoft's Ballmer Says, "Not Interested" In New Bid For Yahoo, WebmasterWorld
- SEO for Web 2.0 session - SMX London Day 2 recap, Sphinn
- SEO Tweets for 2009, Sphinn
- Study: Fortune 500 Doesn't Get SEO, Sphinn